New York is too fucking expensive.

A one bedroom apartment in NYC is about 1,500$ now don't get me wrong I have a pretty good job and so does my spouse but really? And 1,500$ doesn't even give you the space you deserve... it's just super stressful and I was wondering for all of you guys that live in VA or wherever, I'm sure you can get much more space elsewhere for 1,500$ instead of living in a damn box... I'm thinking about moving because I work super hard and I feel like i deserve to be happy and comfortable even though I wouldn't know where to move I just feel like NYC is sooooo expensive and just blah, I love love love my city but with baby coming idk what to do... my cousin rents out a whole 2 bedroom 2 bathroom (and backyard) house in va for 800$ a month and I'm here in NYC like a damn idiot. 
Has anyone made that transition ? Because their previous state was too expensive? Any advice? Anything ? And don't even get me started with affordable housing in NYC it's the absolute worst. Any suggestions? Comments? Experiences?