Talking to kids about abortion..

My 8 year old attends Catholic School. Right now pro-life is being talked about within some of the class rooms. Not specifically my son's 2nd grade class though because I'm assuming they are too young for the topic. However, my son came home from school and told me there were pictures hung in the church about babies and he was confused by them. He wanted to know what they were all about. Which led to us having to have the "talk" because he couldn't understand why someone would not want to have a baby. Before this, he simply thought people asked God for a baby and there is was lol. I knew the day would come and was happy to answer his questions and any concerns. Now, I was totally unbiased with the topic of abortion because I want him to have his own opinions. He immediately took the prolife side, which is totally understandable for his age. I did not share the fact with him, that I did indeed have an abortion once. I regret it and would take it back if I could, but I am still pro-choice. I believe in a woman's right to choose. I want my son to grow up respecting all people and choices but I also do not wish to force what I believe on him. Have any of you been in this situation? How do talk to your children about abortion if they have had questions?