Questions Answered

Lisa

Hey ladies!!! I had my first appointment with my OB today and she answered a bunch of my questions. I wanted to post them for any other first time moms in case y'all are wondering or can't get in to see your doctor right away:

1. Regarding working out: if you were doing it before it should be fine (expect for horseback riding, contact sports). She said they say to keep your heart rate under 140, but if you are used to high intensity, then as long as you don't get up too high (like 200), you should be fine.

2. Regarding weight gain and bloating: This one was a concern for me because I have been bloating so much and my weight has been fluctuating 5+ lbs (I'm only 5.5 weeks). She said this is absolutely normal and that it will all even out. She said this early they aren't concerned because your hormones are going crazy so the weight fluctuations and bloating is totally normal. She suggested mylanta or gax x and water for the bloating.

3. Highlighting my hair: She said for sure wait until after the first trimester (go the whole pregnancy if you can) and make sure the salon is well ventilated. I will likely only do it once or twice after the first trimester as I am already in need of a refresh.

4. Foods to avoid: This one I was surprised about because some of the foods I had heard you can't eat, it was said you can or it wasn't mentioned. Only eat fish products once a week. No raw meat or sushi. The sheet actually states prepackaged deli meet is okay. Also, NO mention of cheese anywhere on it.

5. Abdominal muscles sore like I worked out (especially when stretching), but didn't do an ab workout: completely normal. Round ligaments are relaxing.

6. Using a heating pad or taking a bath: As long as the heating pad isn't on your abdomen, it is allowed. Baths are allowed but only warm baths. It is 2 degrees warmer inside your body, so you don't want the water to increased your internal temperature too much.

That's all. I hope this helped someone!