How does your family feel?

I'm black (Caribbean and African descent). When I was in middle school, I had a conversation with the women in my family about dating outside of your race. To sum the conversation up, they all agreed they would never date outside of their race and said I was too young to understand. I was heartbroken (because I attended a magnet school where it was very diverse). Now as an adult I understand SOME of what they were saying but it crazy how they felt so strongly about it. I mean everyone probably has intentions of dating someone of the same race and culture (it's easy, nothing new to learn) but that's not how it always goes. My SO is Venezuelan and part Colombian and I didn't go seeking for a Latino but I wouldn't have it any other way. He's my best friend and I'm honestly in love. My family hasn't met him yet but a few members have heard about him. How does your family feel about dating outside your race/culture? If they disapproved, how did you get them to come around? Or how did you handle their reaction?