How to get out of an abusive relationship!?

So ladies - I’m not usually one to post on here but I’m feeling a little stuck and wondering if any of you beauties have any tips. I’ve been in and out of an abusive relationship for the past 5 years. ALL of my family and friends have sworn this dude off, they hate him, they don’t want me to see him or speak to him and especially not be with him.

But the issue is, he moved to my city. Obviously I’ve run into him multiple times, there’s no avoiding it. He also works downtown so every time I go out with my girls I get to stress over whether or not I’ll run into him while I’m drinking 🙂

I’ve cut him out of my life at least 5 times now.... I feel like I’ve tried absolutely everything and no matter what I do, he keeps coming back claiming he loves me, I mean the world to him, and he can’t live without me. At the same time, he’s been emotionally and mentally abusing me for the past 5 years, trying to bring me down to his level so I won’t have the courage to leave him. He cheated on me by sleeping with my best friend, he has an insane temper, one time he even got physical, and he knows exactly what to say and do to get me back in his life. I’ve tried everything to end it.

I’ve tried ignoring him, I’ve tried answering him, I’ve tried blocking him on every and all social media, I’ve tried lying to him, I’ve tried being brutally honest with him, I’ve tried seeing other guys, I’ve tried being friends with him, I’ve tried sleeping with him again, I’ve tried therapy, I’ve tried asking my friends and family to ward him off..... literally nothing works and he will not stop coming back to me. I don’t understand. I don’t want to ruin his life with a restraining order and unfortunately I still have love for him and I’m so scared to hurt him. Especially when he tells me he can’t live without me and I’m his world. SOS how do I end this once and for all?!