Recreational drug use

My boyfriend has been using drugs recreationally for most of his life. In middle/high school he smoked a lot of weed and eventually quit, then went off to college and took nearly every drug, Ketamine, coke, ecstasy, god knows what else...he partied a ton. *I’m not shaming his past*

Nowadays, he’s 28 and still desires and is attracted to the festival/drug lifestyle here and there. I have never done anything besides smoke a little weed like once a year or longer but as I grow older, I just personally feel that lifestyle is one I do not want to tolerate. We had a talk the other night while we were out and I asked him if he would ever do mushrooms again and he said yes every 3 years. And I said so if your future children did mushrooms what would you say? And he said he would be okay with it and happy because they could connect and understand that feeling. I was so sad hearing that. We’ve been together 3 years and I’m starting to feel this is a deal breaker for me. Then, he attended a “festival” with his frat bros this weekend and he Texted and FaceTimed me being overly sweet and sexual, rubbing his lips profusely and being very hyper...I’d never seen him like this before, it’s so hard for him to even complement me sober let alone send me so much love like that. It was evident he had taken something, beyond alcohol. I intend on bringing it up when he gets back, I feel I need this addressed before I continue this relationship. I truly care about his health and well being, and I’m sad he chooses to ingest illegal, basically unknown substances that he has no idea will affect him in the future. And I hope he stops even if he isn’t with me.

My question is, has anyone ever dealt with a similar situation? How did you approach it? What do you think about pursuing a life where one doesn’t partake in recreational drugs vs. one who does? Thank you in advance for the feedback, I have nobody to talk to about this.