Nystagmus? Scary incident at peds visit

Je

Anyone have a baby that was diagnosed with possible nystagmus? How early did you notice it? Did it go away on its own later?

I took my baby to her 1 month check up at the pediatrician’s office today, and everything was fine, she was happy and calm... but while I was holding her and waiting for the doctor to come in, she suddenly started doing this new scary thing with her eyes... both eyes were crossed severely and shaking up and down for a few seconds before they turned back to normal. I’ve NEVER seen her do that before. My husband and nanny also said they never saw her do that before. She wasn’t crying or anything, she was totally normal/happy.

I thought maybe the bright fluorescent lights in the office bothered her so I turned her face away from them. But she kept doing that eye shaking every minute or two!! They lasted just a few seconds and the rest of her body (head, arms, legs, etc) were all fine, not jerking or shaking so it wasn’t a seizure. I asked the doctor when he came in and he at first said it’s normal for newborns to have immature neurological development in the eyes and he’s seen lots of kids do this but grow out of it by 3 months old. Throughout the entire checkup he kept an eye on her eye movements, and when he saw how frequently she did them he said it might be “nystagmus” and recommended we go see a pediatric ophthalmologist just in case. I’m setting up an appt asap to get this checked out.

As soon as we got in the car she was fine. And ever since we’ve been home she hasn’t been doing that at all. As a first time mom this really scared me at the office... any words of advice or experience would be greatly appreciated 🙏🏻