First baby!

S

Our sweet little boy was due June 14, 2020. We had no doubt in our minds we were going to have a June baby! But he had other plans of course.

The night of May 30, I thought I was just experiencing a little more discharge than usual, I didn’t think too much of it. It wasn’t gushing or anything. I brushed it off and went to bed. The next morning (May 31, 38 weeks exactly) at 6am I rolled over in bed and felt a little gush of fluid. I had a feeling it was my water. I went to the bathroom and lost my mucus plug and was still leaking fluid. I decided to wake my husband up, shower, and figure out what else we still needed to pack in our hospital bags.

While I was in the shower I had a few minor contractions but nothing I couldn’t work through. We arrived at the hospital around 7:40am and I was still only 1cm and about 50% effaced. I felt so discouraged because I had made no progress in a week. As the nurses were asking questions my contractions started getting stronger but again not unbearable. They decided I should try walking around the halls to see if I progress on my own before trying cytotec or pitocin.

Thankfully, an hour later I was 3cm and 80% effaced! I was excited but definitely experiencing more pain. Around 4cm, I asked for an epidural. There was hardly any rest time in between contractions so i was extremely worried I wouldn’t have energy to push. I got the epidural and I was instantly relieved. I had an amazing nurse who held my hands through the entire thing since my husband couldn’t be in the room for that part of it!

The nurses suggested I take a nap and she would be back to check me within an hour or so. I tried so hard to sleep but I definitely still felt intense pressure down there. Around 2:30, my nurse came back and told me I had somehow progressed to 9cm!!! That’s when things started to get real. She was in total shock. She said get a little more rest because we will be pushing soon. An hour later, I was 10cm and 100% effaced but baby was still up pretty high. She told me we would probably be pushing within a half hour. I could feel more intense pressure with every contraction, but thankfully no pain!

My husband was napping but I woke him up to let him know we would be pushing soon, he was in shock! Lol. Around 4:30 I started pushing. It was painless at first and the nurse was really helpful in guiding me on what to do. A couple hours later the OB arrived (mine was out of town 😭) and he was crowning! The pressure and pain got pretty intense at this point but everyone was so patient with me. My husband was very encouraging and helpful through the whole thing. I thought crowning would be the worst- NOPE pushing shoulders out is no joke! The ring of fire is a real thing, ladies! 😂

Anyway, at 6:42pm on 5/31/2020 our little love entered the world weighing 7lbs 7oz and 19.5 inches long.

Nolan Michael 💙