Military surgeon refusing to help - should I get referral to civilian doctor?

Hannah • SJG 💙 THG 💙

So, I have a pilonidal cyst on my tailbone. The first time it flared up really bad I was 35 weeks pregnant and had to go to the emergency room to get it drained, then over a year and a half later it came back so I went to the clinic and they did a drainage and my pcp referred me to a general surgeon for a consult on it since it’s obviously recurrent.

— FYI we are a military family so these are all military doctors —

Anyways, I met with the general surgeon and he told me he doesn’t want to do the surgery to remove it because it’s hard to heal from, so he just wants to keep draining it. I was near tears in his office as the pain from the cyst drainage makes it hard to live my life for 1-2 weeks and I was so hopeful that the last drainage would be my LAST! I expressed to him my concerns and the fact that I fear it will flare up again when I’m pregnant.

Well now it’s 2 months since my drainage and this time the cyst is actually kind of draining on it’s own but it is sore. I’m currently 4 1/2 weeks pregnant so surgery wouldn’t be an option anyways.

I guess my question is should i talk to my PCP and see if he can refer me to someone outside of the military as the general surgeon refuses to do anything but I&D’s?? It’s seriously bumming me out, the general surgeon just kind of laughed it off when I was near tears.