Metformin after Spironalactone

Rachel

I was on Spironalactone for years, and in a lot of ways it was a miracle drug. It was the only thing that cleared up my awful acne. My face used to hurt so bad because of how severe my acne was. After a few months people actually started complimenting me on how nice my skin was. It also helped with unwanted hair. I went from plucking lots of hairs every single day to a few strays once a week. Then I started community college, and it was a huge problem, because it's a diuretic, and I had to pee all the time. I couldn't keep interrupting class. So I stopped taking it. I was ok for several years, but last year decided to go back on because my PCOS was flaring up. My endocrinologist put me back on after blood work. Slowly I started to not feel right as the months passed. I was getting up 8 times a night to pee,and like 20 times day. I felt weird pressure, I thought for sure my bladder or uterus dropped. Turns out it was my kidneys. As well as I tolerated Spironalactone in the past this time I did not. I stopped getting my period for 3 months, and when I did get it, it was every 12-16 days. Regular periods were one thing I was always lucky to have with PCOS. My nephrologist had me stop taking it 3 weeks ago because he said my blood pressure was dangerously low. For the last 6 months my period came every 18 day and it's 32 days now so I feel confident stopping it has screwed me up hormonally. I will end up having to induce it with provera after 3 months I think. My Gyne wanted to switch me to metformin months ago, before this all started, because I wasn't ovulating, and she was suspicious Spironalactone was affecting my kidneys way back then. But, her staff is crappy, I tried multiple times to get in touch with her to confirm metformin was ok to take with another med I'm on. So now my endocrinologist is going to put me on it assume my kidney function test is to her liking even though my kidney doctor said I can take it. Anyway, 2 part question, has anyone had luck regulating their period with metformin? Also had Spironalactone ever messed up anyone's kidneys really badly, and if so did they ever recover?