Advice from fellow Atheist/Agnostics/Secular Humanists

Inspector Kemp 🐠 • I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I`m all outta gum.

I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness, my mother being the enforcer, my father standing aside and allowing her to beat us into submission with her bible even though he patently disagreed with its contents and the notion of god in entirety. In my mind, he just wanted his alone time while she dragged us off to church. No worries there, I achieved my independence at 13 and I haven't looked back.

However, now that I have my own child I'm running into a small issue with my mother. We have been getting along famously for about 7 years now but she keeps trying to push her worldview into my sons life. For example, I cut up an apple for her to enjoy with my son, and she gives him a bite, he shares an appreciative "mmmm" and she states quite excitedly "isn't that a delicious apple that Jehovah made for you?!" This is one of many example, most of which pertain to nature or food.

At this point, it's not a big deal because he hardly speaks English, and at some point in the future I, of course, wish him to be educated in as many matters as possible, even my mother's religion. I just don't want this to be something he's inundated with growing up as I was. I feel since he is my child this is something I get to choose when and how he is exposed to it within my family, as she already had her chance with her own children. However, I also have been enjoying the jovial relationship I now share with her and though we openly and kindly disagree with eachother on a great many topics, even religion, and still carry on happily, this is one subject I am anxious to approach from a reasonable but firm standpoint while maintaining our goodwill.

My son is only a year and a half old, but I am still curious to see if anyone else has been through this and if they have any advice.