Boyfriend....potential husband? Long

M
My boyfriend and I have been together about three years. When we met we hit it off and had everything in common, we're very alike and our birthdays are even two days apart. Even still, he forgot my birthday the last two years in a row. The first year, we had been together for two years and were living together and broke up shortly after due to wanting different things - he's a city person and needs to live there for work and I can work anywhere and prefer the country lifestyle. The second time was this year after we got back together. 
When we broke up last spring we both saw other people, but were broken up for about six months before we started talking again and our chemistry was undeniable. We got back together long distance last October. We have been living in separate cities since then and will be until May of next year. 
We make time to see each other, but I always plan our activities (hikes, outdoorsy stuff) and when I have asked him to take the lead he doesn't do it. I love him but I just want a MAN who will take me to some romantic spot for a campfire and skinny dipping/stargazing. My bf has never done that for me. 
I've asked him to again and hoping he will....but any advice re long distance? I feel like half of me is ok with being independent and half feels like I'm wasting my time. I really love him but I worry we don't want the same things.