Gallbladder Issues

Michelle
Apparently, hormonal changes during pregnancy can effect your gallbladder. While it's common, I didn't know this, until I developed gallstones. In my case, I didn't know I had them until one stone stuck in the bile duct, causing an infection. I have never been so sick in my life. I was 8 weeks pregnant at the time. With antibiotics, the doctors killed the infection. And, with a very strict, almost-no fat diet, I kept my gallbladder calm until I made it to my second trimester. There's a window of opportunity in the second trimester to take the gallbladder out. I'm 15 weeks pregnant now, and I had my gallbladder out yesterday! Both baby and I came through the anesthesia and surgery (which was laparoscopic) fine. My OB came to the recovery room with an ultrasound unit, and we watched the baby wake up from the anesthesia. After everything we've gone through, she was quick to offer opportunities this week to come in and listen to the baby's heartbeat. I am incredibly grateful for the wonderful care I got at the first hospital when I first got sick, at the hospital yesterday before, during, and after the surgery, and I feel very grateful for a wonderfully caring and engaged OB. And, of course, my husband, who has taken extraordinary, loving care of me through this whole ordeal. His last words to the baby yesterday, before I went to surgery were to "stay put" (one of the risks of anesthesia is pre-term labor). Thankfully, she listened to her Daddy. 
This online community is very supportive. I wanted to share my experience in the hope that, if anyone else is going through this, they know they're not alone.
Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions! 
Please share your experiences!
The symptoms of gallbladder problems include:
  • Steady, increasing pain in the upper right portion of your abdomen, especially after eating a fatty meal
  • Pain between your shoulder blades or under your right shoulder
  • Abdominal pain that lasts more than five hours
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Fever or chills
  • Yellowing skin (jaundice)
  • Stools that are clay-colored