Birth control straight after abortion?

I understand that using a birth control is important after your abortion. To prevent another unplanned pregnancy. But after my abortion the doctors told me to take a birth control pill right away and continue with it. Like literally, after my procudure they moved me to a resting room with an IV. They where wanting me to start my birth control once I got home. They where not making me take it on the spot which would of been illegal because I was drugged up. I was to drugged up to properly respond, ask questions or even really understand what I was suppose to take. I called the clinic after a long nap, they did advise me still of taking pills so soon after. I decided against taking any pills (for the time being) other then antibiotics. I'm hoping to use birth control pills after my first normal period comes back and ends. But I'm curious to see if any ladies took on a birth control method RIGHT AFTER their abortion. And if it helped your healing process. I'm scared of putting extra hormones in my body with everything being so fragile down there.