Having bipolar disorder and being a parent.

jane
 I'm 26, happily married and have 2 beautiful children, you wouldn't know it at first glance but I also have bipolar disorder I was diagnosed when my daughter was 4 months old.  I don't talk about it much since most look at you like you have 4 heads. 
I recently was talking to another mother who was at my sons play group, she was talking about how her brother and sister and law are  going to try for a baby even though her SiL was diagnosed with bipolar disorder early in their marriage.  The mother in the play group went on to say she think they shouldn't have children and how it would be unfair to the children to have a parent being bipolar, a few other mothers also agreeded. This group of mothers have no idea I have bipolar disorder, and when I said I believe that if someone is taking all the steps to control their mental illness than I see no reason why they shouldn't have children. 
I won't lie, I have bad days where I just want to crawl into a whole and sleep but I know my children need me and I pull through and then their are days were I feel so excited for no reason and  get irritable. But I don't let my  illness control my life. 
Would you have children if you have a bipolar disorder or any other mental illness?

I will also note that if a has bipolar disorder it is very unlikely the children will inherit it.