Gynxiety

Tiffany

Hey guys,

So, I'm 27, been sexually active for...well, awhile. The problem is, I should have started seeing a gynecologist yeeeears ago, and I've still never had a pelvic exam.

Now this isn't for lack of education, or not caring. I value my health and I want to take care of myself. But the idea of going there absolutely TERRIFIES me. I think part of the problem is my mom one time used a gyn visit to test for "virginity" as a threat when I was like 15, and even though I know there were several things wrong with what she said, I still have a very physical reaction whenever I try to make myself schedule an appointment.

I think I'm also afraid of the pain I've been told about, and waaay afraid of getting a gynecologist who makes gross comments or makes me feel unsafe.

I'd like to hear about people's first visits, whether good or bad, or what to expect. Also, what did you do or what would you have done to make your first visit easier to deal with?? I'm sincerely considering going into the office inebriated or something, since I literally have anxiety attacks whenever I even think of scheduling a visit.