PREGNANCY SCARE? Read this for info.

Nurse Anais • I am a registered nurse in Melbourne, Australia! Both parents are Doctors, so ask away! I have a 2 year old daughter!

For the ladies undergoing a pregnancy scare..

PREGNANCY SYMPTOMS OR PRE-AF SYMPTOMS: 

This one is a tough one for you ladies, as they are almost identical. Some early pregnancy symptoms include: 

1. Nausea 
  2. Light period-like cramps
  3. Heart burn 
  4. Increase in urination
  5. Constipation 
  6. Acne 
  7. Watery discharge 
  8. Implantation bleeding 
  9. Of course, a missed period

Most of these symptoms can also be linked with premenstrual symptoms. The only way to tell the difference is to wait and take a pregnancy test. You can have pregnancy symptoms as early as implantation (6-12 days past ovulation). 

IMPLANTATION BLEEDING OR PREMENSTRUAL SPOTTING.. OVULATION?

Keep in mind the timing of the spotting. For women with normal cycles, you ovulate 2 weeks after the end of your period, which means your next period would be in another 2 weeks after you ovulate. If you are spotting 2 weeks after your period, you are most likely having ovulation bleeding. Just because you've never had it, doesn't mean it won't happen. Ovulation bleeding is normally light bleeding (pink). Other symptoms of ovulation include clear-eggy discharge. This discharge is your cervical mucus, it helps guide and protect the sperm on its long journey. Another symptom is your temperature. When you first wake up in the morning and you are ovulating, your temperature will be slightly higher than normal. You may also experience period-like cramping.

Implantation bleeding can happen anywhere from 6-12 days past ovulation. (10-11dpo is most common). For some women, this could fall right when your normal period is suppose to start, which can be confusing. Here's how you know the difference between your period and implantation bleeding. Period blood tends to be very red in colour and will fill multiple pads. IB (implantation bleeding) will be scant bleeding (won't fill a pad). This blood will either be pink or brown. This spotting may be accompanied by some clear-watery discharge. That's normal. Both however can come with regular period-like cramping. IB cramps are only mild, if you are having severe cramps, get ready for AF (aunt flow). IB bleeding happens to 1 in 3 women. If you are still not sure, avoid using tampons as it can be harmful. 

IRREGULAR PERIOD? 

If you have recently had brown-light periods and you're not sure if it's your period or IB, take a pregnancy test. Also, if you're not pregnant, I'd advice you to go to fix this. 

WHEN TO TAKE A PREGNANCY TEST.

There are early pregnancy tests you can take before you miss a period, but a lot of ladies will get false negatives and be heartbroken when in fact they are pregnant. I would suggest waiting until you  actually miss a few days of your period. If it's negative after a few days, wait a few more days and take another one. 

LATE PERIOD, CAN I STILL BE PREGNANT?

Late periods happen here and there, even if it's never happened to you before. There are rare cases where women are pregnant and still have bleeding similar to your menstrual cycle, but like I said- rare. The chances are no, you're not pregnant. 

MISSED PERIOD, BFN? (Big Fat Negative)

If you completely missed your period (10 days late & still a no-show), and you're still having negative pregnancy tests, there could be several explanations. For some women, your progesterone levels may be too low even if you are pregnant. Try waiting a few more days and test again, if it's still negative, you can get a blood test done by your doctor. If that's all negative, then you're not pregnant. Missing a period happens, especially if you're stressing about getting pregnant. Stress can cause a late or missed period. Sometimes women go through hormonal changes which can cause them to have a missed period. Try not to worry unless you miss your period in the following month, then I'd go see a doctor just to make sure! 

WILL HAVING AN ORGASM AT THE SAME TIME AS MY S/O PUSH OUT HIS SPERM AND PREVENT PREGNANCY?

No, having an orgasm at the same time as your man actually increases your chances of getting pregnant. 

The bottom line is: anytime you have unprotected sex, you are subject to becoming pregnant. (Just using "the pull out method" counts as unprotected sex, as it is not a real form of birth control and you can very much get pregnant from pre-cum).

Of course if you track your period cycle and you know when you ovulate, that week before and during ovulation, your chances of falling pregnant are much higher. Sperm can live in you for a few days. Many people believe that your sex position matters when in fact it doesn't. Sperm will get where it needs to be no matter how it enters you. 

Always use protection when you don't want to get pregnant! Be safe xxx ! 

Feel free to comment any questions you have! :]