I'm so tired of my short natural hair (4c)!!!!

ve
Alright so let me start from the beginning, I had super long dreadlocks that I'd been growing since I was four . I cut them off around 6th grade (due to bullies ) . From then I repeatedly began to wear perms. Sonin the beginning of last year I cut the perm out of my hair .. in result with this mini fro . I honestly love it , especially when it's colored . Here's my problem... I have this new boyfriend who's only seen pictures of my natural hair and he really wants to see it in person; he also tries to encourages me to wear my hair out in school (I'm in high school btw ) I'm just afraid of being bullied all over again . He also gets frustrated with me because he thinks that I'm ashamed of my hair . I tried to do little cute pixie cut styles but my hair seems to hate heat ! 
all together I am over weave but I'm tired of my hair just stopping past my ears. I get so annoyed by my generation sometimes because it's all about having long and beautiful hair it's kind of intimidating .  What should I do ? Any advice? 
SN ; I've tried everything pills , conditioning.& even lil treatments .