Conflicting advice on BMI

Jennifer

So many people say I need to get my BMI under 30 before TTC. All sorts of risks to the baby if I don't. And I want a healthy baby more than anything else! But then there are a lot of women who have had healthy babies even though they're overweight. And still others who say it's ok if you're otherwise healthy.

I'm 5'4" and about 265lbs. I was diagnosed with PCOS at 15 but it hasn't really caused problems for me. My periods have been very regular for the past year, since getting the Mirena taken out. I've never had diabetes and my blood pressure has been close to normal. Just high enough that my doctor is keeping an eye on it, see if it goes any higher. I generally eat healthy but have some physical limitations that make exercise difficult.

I just turned 30 and I'm tired of waiting. I've never really been successful with weight loss and getting my BMI low enough would likely take a year or two. I want to try for a baby but all this conflicting advice confuses me.

I will of course discuss this all with my doctor too. I just wanted some advice from women who have actually experienced this.