Narcissistic assholes

Against my better judgement I got involved with someone quite younger than me.

When we met he lied about he's age, as he knew I wouldn't be keen on him if I knew, but after spending the whole night with him at the event we met at, I found out the truth.

After talking about it I decided that I won't let the age gap of 5 years (hes 18 , I'm 23) be a problem because I really liked him.

From then on he was the sweetest most attentive guy I'd ever experienced so I thought id give him a chance. We went on dates ect, keep in mind ive been played so badly before I'm almost allergic to telling a guy how I feel, but I opened up to him, told him how I felt, he apparently felt the same way.

We didn't see each other for awhile after that as we both had our respective exams, but the messaging and phone calls were constant then all of a sudden over a day or so he got distant, made excuses to get out of the plans we'd made to finally see each other, he stood me up on my birthday and then ignored me for a week, lied to me so I wouldn't go to an event he was at

After confronting him over text he said we should rather be friends as he's busy ect excuses, then he just stopped talking to me, but he's chatting up my friend(he doesn't know I know her). Making plans, said hed been single for awhile, things like that.

Ive been abit messed up about it, I'd like to know from you ladies do you think he used me as an ego boost then got bored. Or any other advise or theories.

I'll be seeing him in a month as we will be at the same event which is quite small and I don't know what to do when I see him.