He didn't get me anniversary card

My boyfriend and I are celebrating our 2nd year anniversary this year. 3 months ago he moved to a different state for work, so I have just flown from one side to the other to celebrate our anniversary together and see one another. We talk everyday, at the airport he cried because he missed me and bought me roses etc..

So we are staying in a hotel for the week and I said can you please just turn away for a minute I don't want you to see your anniversary card. He looked at me with complete shock and said I didn't know we are doing that? He really did feel bad, but I can't see how a card is to much of a hassle and he just said he didn't think about it. Although for our one year he got me a card and presents without me saying or hinting anything. The thing that hurts the most is I've spent about 2 weeks, spending money and time on gifts and DIYS for him. I am so happy with how it all turned out and I feel like I'm putting this relationship first and putting effort into it and he knows it's our anniversary it's why I am here. He keeps saying how lucky he to have me etc..

Am I thinking to much into this? I don't aspect a gift, but I do with a card. Is this wrong? Is it wrong for me to feel like he's not trying anymore?

Thank in advance