Rant/perspective

Do you think you need to tell your mum about who you are dating? I’m meaning like before it gets serious, like when you are just talking.

I met my now boyfriend at a course, and I told her when I met him. She made the biggest overreaction basically calling me a slut saying that I would be with anyone who pays me attention because he is 26 and I’m 20. So of course from this reaction I didn’t want to tell her anything.

I met up with him and would tell my mum that I was going to the library to study. I know it’s not the best situation but what choice did she give me.

When things started to get more serious I starting to tell mum more about him, and telling her we are going to the movies etc. The first time we met up was the worst because she called me 8 times and made me text her ever 15 minutes to check that I was alive. Biggest overreaction, we literally went to the movies. After a few more attempts she started to calm down. She has also met him once.

The other day I was generally talking about his work to her and she said what are you. And I said that we were a bit more than friends. She bombarded me with 1000 questions and I always get really quiet in these situations.

Today I told her we are going to the movies tonight and she went on about what we are. Then she was like I know you have been lying to me, and you don’t respect me, and you treat me like a piece of shit. And she said to me “am I just going to get your wedding invitation one day in the mail”.

But I want to tell her about everything but she has made things so uncomfortable to do so. What should I do?

UPDATE: so I brought him home tonight so she could meet him again, and she acted like nothing was wrong. She was just chatting to him about work like nothing was wrong