HSG Experience

Dana

I just want to point out that every one is different- your pain tolerance, your body, your situation. For me, the HSG was not nearly as bad as everyone online made me think. I didn’t see many good outcomes online so I figured I’d post mine. The thing that blew my mind is that it literally took like 2 minutes and that’s it. I waited for a while but the actual procedure was so fast. I laid on a table with my legs in stirrups and there was an X-ray machine already over the table that I had to shimmy under and it stayed over my hips the entire time. The doctor used a speculum to open and the clean my cervix, it was like a normal Pap smear so far. Then he put in a catheter that I didn’t even feel until he took the speculum out. It hurt a little bit and he ended up taking it out saying that my uterus didn’t like that one so he used another one. He basically had to start all over again. Even still, it wasn’t that bad. The part that I heard hurt the worst was the dye going through the tubes but that wasn’t bad either. It felt like period cramps a little. Once the dye went in it was like 30 seconds before I heard the beep and he said you’re all done, your tubes are clear! Then he took everything out and that was it. I was lucky enough not to have any blockages but I know there are people that do and so not everyone’s experience will be as easy and painless as mine but at least you know it’s possible and you’re not freaking out about it before hand. Baby dust to all!