Can I “restart” breastfeeding?

JD • Proud mama 💙🌻

Kinda long. But need advice.

So my son is 5 weeks old. I was only breastfeeding. It got to the point where each feed would take 1-2 hours straight nursing. And at about 2 weeks old he wasn’t gaining enough weight so his ped said to offer breast first for 15 min then give him formula if he’s still hungry.

Well as a very tired FTM having formula on hand made each feeding more tempting to just skip a breastfeeding feed and just make up a quick bottle.

Well now I haven’t actually breastfed in a few days and I was pumping in between feedings. Well I even started pumping way less. Yesterday I only pumped 2x and when I did I only got 2 ounces in the morning and 1 ounce at night- altogether...

As much as I didn’t want to breastfeed while I was pregnant. And as overwhelming, exhausting and hard as it is I want to continue breastfeeding even if I am just pumping and feeding a bottle to him.

But can I even increase my supply now? Or is it too late? I am going to see a lactation consultant but I want to get going before the appointment. It’s just really discouraging to see I am making almost nothing all day. So it makes me want to just give up altogether.