Do you think that there is a place for pregnancy in the body positive movement?

em • 🐥

I see a lot of posts on here lamenting about weight gain or loss during pregnancy and also comparing weight to other mamas.

I find this worrisome because some are bodies are made to gain weight during this time and some are not. Most women end up with perfectly healthy pregnancies despite weight increase or decrease. Of course there are outliers, but a “perfect” pattern of weight gain isn’t realistic.

I’ve seen doctors tell women 13 lbs is too much weight at X time and others say it’s fine. It doesn’t make sense to me.

I worry that our culture values bouncing back after pregnancy more than a healthy pregnancy to some extent. Pregnancy is a time when women hear that they’re “too big” or “too small” from people and honestly, why are people worried? Big or small has no bearing on baby.

So my question is (and sorry for my rambling) can there be a place for pregnancy in the body positive movement? Can there be a pregnancy where are bodies are allowed to do what they need to do without shame, without our weights being thrown on a curve, and without our diets being restricted because something has “too much sugar” or because eating for two is a “myth”???

Vote below to see results!