New to being a single mom

I was with my now ex for 7 years..in the years we were together he never did a thing to make me feels special. Never celebrated my birthday or any holiday. Our first Christmas with our first baby he waited till the night before Christmas to give me any money for my daughters Christmas. Did the same thing this past year too. He didnt help me with the kids or the house AT ALL.. he did whatever he wanted to do whenever he wanted to. Both my pregnancies and births were horrible thanks to him..about 6 months after my 2nd daughter was born things started to really go downhill after he quit his job( without talking to me first, seeing as how he made me stop working due to his insecurities). We had to move in with his parents again. Which made it so much worse. I made the decision about 2 months ago that I cant handle this relationship anymore.. from the anger outburst to the constant argue and degrading behavior it became too much..heres the problem..because he made me so dependent on him I'm still having to stay at his parents house with him and my kids. I've put in job applications and got my car registered and insured..I'm trying to become independent again with my daughters and would really like some guidance from some women who have done this before. I feel alone, scared, and heartbroken but I'm trying to keep it together for my girls.