I’m the person everyone vents to..

I wouldn’t call this a rant or a complaint even.. but I’ve always been the friend that other friends go to for advice. I’m no therapist, but I’ve made a lot of mistakes in my life and it’s easy for me to apply my personal experiences to things others are going through and I try to be as open and nonjudgmental as I can.

That being said, I have my own problems (don’t we all), and sometimes it’s very tiring to balance my own personal issues while trying to help others with theirs. Picture a little toddler in an Easter Egg Hunt where they pick up an egg, put it in the basket, and three eggs fall out of the basket. Pick up another, three more fall out. That’s how I feel.

My sister who I am very close with has three children and went through a divorce last year and is still trying to put her life back together. I try to be the person she can lean on for support since she doesn’t have other close friends that live nearby.

My best friend has been in a very toxic relationship for the last 3 years. The man lied about being engaged, and now married and continues to manipulate and use her. And again, I try to be that person who will listen and not judge, and give pieces of advice I hope will help her.

I love both of these women dearly and if they want to open up to me and confide in me, I believe it’s my duty as a friend and as a sister to be available for them. Neither is formally diagnosed with depression, but I often worry if I’m not there to help them, who will be? And I worry the worst will happen. There’s just some days like today when my job drains me, I have my own personal things bothering me, and then I have my sister leaning on me, and my friend leaning on me. All at the same time.

Is there anyone else out there who is the support system for friends/family? And how do you balance everything and stay sane?