Went from TTC to IUI

April

When I married my husband in 2009 I knew he had Charcot Marie Tooth-Disorder. It’s a hereditary genetic disorder that he got from his mother.

June of 2018 we began our TTC journey. After being unsuccessful we went to our doctor in January. We soon found out that my husband isn’t producing any sperm. He’s done two semen analysis tests, he’s had his testosterone and LH levels and even had a ultrasound on his scrotum.

His testosterone and LH are normal. He doesn’t have any blockage in his testicles. But he does a hydrocele in both of his testicles.

My husbands recent urologist said that the reason why my he’s infertile is because of his CMT. Which my husband now has to get a genetic testing to see which form of CMT he has.

If my husband decides if he wants to see if he has any sperm in his testicles, he would have to go to OSHU in Portland, Oregon to get a testicle biopsy. Which our insurance doesn’t cover. If we chose that route, we would have to pay for the testing out of pocket.

We have looked into adoption, but we don’t have the over $20,000 to pay for adoption. We live in Oregon, and Oregon is NOT a foster to adopt state. The length it takes to adopt here in Oregon is a 2 year wait. Could be longer for a newborn.

Our only option we have that is affordable for my husband and I is artificial insemination and use donor sperm. There is a local Women’s Clinic that offers a fertility program. My doctor gave me a little preview about it, but it does cost $2,000 for the entire program. Which my husband and I have to save for.