Feeding 12 week old too much?

Angela

We had our first paediatrician appointment today with my little who is 12 weeks. He’s been eating a 6oz bottle (around 7oz once formula is added) anywhere from 2.5-4 hours during the day, and sleeping for 8-10 hour stretches once he goes down for the night.

At birth he was 7lb 5oz, and as of today is 14lb 6oz. The doctor said he shouldn’t be double his birth weight until he’s 5 months old, and to feed him less, more often.

I’m not plugging him full of food to “get him to sleep longer” as she rudely suggested. Most of the time he doesn’t make it 3 hours before he wants to eat again. He doesn’t fall asleep during bottles and doesn’t refuse any either.

I’m wary of cutting him back suddenly. Should I just try an ounce less than normal and see how he does?

I know she knows her stuff.. I’d just never heard about the whole doubling weight thing, and our regular doctor was never concerned with his weight or amount he’s been eating.

Am I overfeeding him and just not realizing it? And his poor little belly has just grown to accommodate it?

I’m just a little stressed out over this..