Abdomen pain (kinda a question for athletes)

EMILIE

This is my first pregnancy, and I have a question for fellow athletes. I work out a lot and have had a six pack since I was 16 (so for a decade) (this isn’t to brag it’s to give you background for my question).

Lately I have been getting sharp pains in my abdomen that feels like stabbing and they will build up to a pain that makes it hard to breathe and hard to stand up straight

Last week it was so bad I went to the ER and on the ultra sound it showed a contraction line, but it was fixing itself. Otherwise I am perfectly healthy and baby is healthy and there are no complications that they see.

Oh and after those pains, my legs feel like jelly.

Now my OB told me it’s “probably” just my round ligaments stretching, and I do feel that. It’s just more uncomfortable rather than painful.

So my question is, has anyone else who is athletic and still working out get those sharp pains? And if so what has your OB said?

I was told just to wait out the pain (and I get why there isn’t much to be done) unless bleeding happens. But I am just curious if it is due to my muscles not wanting to spread perhaps since I am still working out daily? I don’t have much of a belly and am 15 weeks (I am still fairly flat, just a tiny little pooch but you can’t tell when I am just standing there).

It’s just a little scary to have that much pain and I worry for my kiddos safety.

Thank you so much for your help!