Meantal health an excuse?

I’m sorry this is so long, and i’m not sure what group to put this in but this is the most active one I’m in.

My boyfriend has very bad depression since he lost his mom at a young age. I knew this when we got together over a year ago. At the start of the relationship everything was great, and it still is. He is my first partner that has depression, so I had to learn how to help him and suit his needs when he is in a depressed state.

He typically is a happy-go-lucky person, but sometimes(typically lasts a week or 2) he gets super depressed, and shuts everyone out. I’ve dealt with it, as he’s never shut me out longer than a few hours/day.

Recently, he’s been in this depressed state, for a month or so. He’s completely cut off all effort in trying to communicate, hangout or anything. I want to be nice and respect that this is how he feels, but at what point do I stop putting in the effort because I’m receiving nothing back?

Don’t get me wrong, I know that a lot of the times, relationships are not 50/50 effort, and especially on some days it’s 100/0 or even 70/30 effort. I don’t mind putting in effort either. And I don’t want to leave him at his worst, as I know he’s struggling, but we have talked and have been on and off in our relationship.(only 1 break)

I just wanted to know your thoughts on this, as it has been a month, and he’s not even put in any effort to communicate with me.

If you’ve read this far, please let me know your thoughts, I would appreciate it!!