Nutramigen

Kim

My baby had been struggling a lot with what they thought was reflux. After trying a bunch of different things to help it, the doctor had me stop fortifying his milk with formula. We were adding Alimentum to his bottles of breast milk for added calories since he was premature and needs to gain weight. Well, removing the Alimentum seemed to solve our problems. He was back to eating well and being comfortable in less than a day.

The problem now: I had problems with producing. I had to have surgery (ruptured appendix) shortly after my c-section and that whole ordeal completely destroyed my supply. I tried to keep it up but it 100% dried up in just a matter of days. So the only choice I had was to finish feeding my son the remainder of what I had stashed in the freezer and then switch to formula. Well, that time has come. I’m keeping one small tote of breast milk back to use in case my son gets sick, so I had to make the switch to formula last night. The doctor recommended trying Nutramigen since we already knew Alimentum didn’t agree with his tummy. But I’m already seeing signs that make me extremely nervous he’s going to have the same problems. He acts very uncomfortable between feedings, he’s taken a little less than his normal amount the last two bottles, and the last one he started to fight the bottle a little bit. It’s not to the same extreme as before with the Alimentum, but I’m so afraid of him having those problems again. It was miserable for both me and him.

So - has anyone whose LO has tummy problems continued to have them with Nutramigen? His doctor was surprised the Alimentum was the culprit before because he said it’s supposed to be one of the best for those issues and Nutramigen as well. So I don’t understand why he’s starting to struggle on it. If he does in fact have the same problem with the Nutramigen, where else can we go from here?