House guest “deep cleaning” during stay (beyond cleaning up after themselves or helping with little things)

JK

So I ask because every time my mother visits she always starts cleaning my house (I keep a clean home) & I’m not talking about helping with dishes or cleaning the bathroom sink after brushing her teeth, but like getting a ladder out so she can do my outside windows or moving all my furniture so she can vacuum under the couch 🙄. I have always felt like it’s intrusive & a little bit offensive, like my house isn’t dirty!

But then we stayed at my in-laws over Christmas & I found myself doing similar 😬 (their house is kinda dirty)... they were having people over for Christmas & I wanted to pick the guest bath that we’d been using up a bit. Make sure there’s no tooth paste in the sink & give a quick wipe down of the toilet since my toddler tends to leave drips, only to find myself scrubbing this toilet that hasn’t been cleaned in at least a year & cleaning under the bowl and around the base. And another time helping clean up the kitchen before guests arrived, my mil asked if I’d wipe down the counters, which to me means moving things & wiping down your cabinets as needed (hers are white) & so I’m wiping under the butcher block etc & then wiping down the white cabinets that are splattered with food (there had been a lot of cooking the last few days) & she seemed a little shocked & put off 😬. I definitely restrained myself in a lot of areas, but still feel like I might have overstepped a bit.

Just wondering how other people feel about the topic.

Vote below to see results!