Crushing on friend for 8 years

Need advice. I’ve been talking to a male friend of mine again. We use to hook up in our teens, flirt ect. But then faded away from each other. He’d get into relationships and so would I. If the separate relationships didn’t work we’d find our way back to each other talking. From 16 years to 19 we did this and eventually all of that died down. We went our separate ways and started talking again around 23 and when our separate relationship ended. He’s 24 and I’m 25 and because of the coronavirus we’ve been talking to each other more often. No hook ups this time but flirting and genuine conversation. I’ve asked if we could ever date. But, he’s explains how he doesn’t want to lead me on thinking we’d date. He constantly talks to me we flirt which is cool. But I’m trying to understand if he’s just not in the mood for a relationship at the moment or if he’s waiting for something better to come up.

We’re really good friends and we’ve connected so easy for years. I’m having a feeling that right now is t the time and he’s just waiting for more growth in hisself 🤷🏾‍♀️