First hug as a step mom

This may not seem like a big deal to many people, but I'm so happy! I made a post about my step son having a hard time adjusting. He's been with us for five months. His mom and step dad abused him so bad. He had a head injury from the abuse that caused him to go death in one ear. He doesn't really talk to anyone, and wets the bed and instead of telling us he hides it. He also doesn't have good eating habits and me and his dad have to force him to eat. He's online schooled because High School was just too much for him mentally. Well last night I was up late doing some Christmas shopping online. I heard him crying in his room. I assumed it was a bad dream and asked if he was okay. He didn't say anything to me, so I just rubbed his back. He had peed the bed so I told him to get up so we could strip the bed. He didn't move. He just stayed there shaking. My husband was at work so he couldn't be much help. I told him to calm down and I'm hear. I was rubbing his back. He finally calmed down a bit and said sorry super quiet. I told him he didn't gave to apologize and that I'm here for him. We all are. He started crying again and I told him its okay just let it out. And he HUGGED ME!!! In the beginning he wouldn't talk to me and now he hugged me! I tried not to make it a big deal. I just let him hug me and cry. We hugged for a good minute and then we changed the sheets, his clothes and he went back to sleep. I called my mom to tell her how happy I was but she just said "It's a hug. It's not a big deal and nothing to be excited over". Maybe it's not but I'm still pretty damn happy about it!