Mother issues

M

My parents came up for the weekend and my 14M son LOVES my dad, he’s by far the top grandparent for my son and my mother is beyond jealous of this. I’d have more sympathy for her if she didn’t already have the victim mentality and dramatics for everything!

Anyways, she sat at the kitchen table all night either eating dinner or playing on her phone. She did not actively try to engage with her grandson even when he brought her books and toys. So I made a comment along the lines of “I don’t want to hear you complain you don’t see your grandson often if when you do see him, you pay more attention to your phone than you do him”. She blamed it on the fact that my son likes my dad best. But the thing is, my dad puts in the effort. He engages so much with my son where mom doesn’t. I told her she needs to put some effort in and he’d be playing with her the same.

How would you handle this if it happens again? They are here till Monday (not staying with us but will visit lots more before they go home). I am irritated that she’s acted this way, but not shocked because she is always over dramatic and the victim in literally everything. She threatened to leave if I brought it up again, she doesn’t like to be called out in her wrong doings.

Also to note, they live 4 hours away, so seeing them more isn’t an option. She just needs to engage with him when they do see each other.