Squatters ruined our life...

Me and my husband bought our dream home 2 yrs ago. We had saved up for years and years and saved to buy an amazing Victorian style one on a pristine maniucured. My mil who was the sweetest women ever got sick and we got a call it was stage 4 pancreatic cancer. They gave her 3-6 months to live but sadly she got the flu a few weeks and passed. We flew out for the funeral and were gone 6 days. When we returned our locks had been changed and a lady and her boyfriend had moved in...to our home. We called the cops but found out that if they had been there 3 days they had established residency and we needed to formally evict them and it was civil and not criminal. It took 3 weeks to find a lawyer. 17 days to get paperwork drawn up. 5 days for them to be looked at/accepted by a judge then they had 30 days until eviction. On day 30 they refused to leave still. We called the cops and they wanted to verify everything before taking action...which took 2 weeks. In that time knowing they were gonna be made to leave they destroyed our home. Took a saw from the looks of it and cuts huge chunks out of walls. Cut into stud beams and cut plumbing. There was bleach poured on carpets, sinks/toilets/the 80 yr old claw foot tub all broken. What looks like tar or black drive way sealer spread onto hardwood. The bannister was destroyed. A few windows broken. Just messed up. Talking to our lawyer we have basically the options of fixing it ourselves as our home insurance won't cover it as it was a "tenant" and we didn't have insurance for renting. We can sue them and pay all court costs to maybe win but if they cant pay us still have no money. Or we can sell it/auction it. In the span of a month we went from happy in the home of our dreams to burying the best human I've ever met and having that home taken over and destroyed. We don't need advice but guess in all this I just needed to write it out and tell somome what we are dealing with. This has cost us a small fortune already and scared what the future looks like.