A VERY complicated relationship

karissa

So there's this guy in my class and we both like each other. He is VERY shy and not very confident, but he is still sweet. He told me he liked me and I thought he said something about being my bf. I told him that I didn't want to rush into things and he got upset. The next day he tried to hold my hand, and I sorta backed away and ignored him for a few days. Then my friend said that he said he liked her and I got SO mad!! I ignored him for about 3 months, until he texted me. He was like why are you mad at me? He didn't know what my friend told me. I eventually told him and he said that never happened. It took awhile but I believed/forgave him (I'm still not sure what happened). So now he is being very nice to me and telling me sweet things. I'm not sure what I'm doing. I don't know if I like him or not. I'm afraid if I tell him I don't want to be more than friends he will start crying. I seriously don't know what to do... he is so nice to me and he is very quiet and not confident. I'm afraid that me telling him that will hurt him and I will break his heart.

Please, give me advice! Thanks you guys!!