Rant - avoid this retailer!

Marianne

I’m sorry this is so long, but this story needs to be told & heard. I plan on posting it all over social media and every pregnancy board I can find! Do NOT support Pea in the Pod/Destination Maternity/Motherhood!!! Listen to this ridiculousness….

At the end of my first trimester I was excited to start looking around at maternity clothes, so I visited Destination Maternity (Pea in the Pod selection in particular). I live in New England, but it was still warm in October. The saleswoman strongly urged me to get a maternity coat right away because she said they sell out quickly. I figured she knew best, so I got the $200 coat and as I was walking away from the register, I overheard her tell a newer associate “See? Now that’s how you close a deal!” I didn’t think too much of it and went home and put the coat in my closet.  

By January, I realized I didn’t end up needing a maternity coat. My normal winter coat was fitting just fine. Now that I’m 7 weeks away from my due date with room still to go in my coat, I tried to return it only to find out you can only make a return within 30 days of purchase. So my first issue is why on earth is that their policy?! I used to work in retail. Brand new, tags still on, never worn – they can easily sell it.  With pregnancy we have no idea what we’ll need and what we won’t. Why is the policy only 30 days??

So now I’m upset because I total felt taken advantage of – newly pregnant, excited and vulnerable, I was urged to buy the coat. And recalling the sales associate’s comment as I walked away, I felt even more like I was played. So I wrote an email to the corporate office and got a response several days later (strike 2) asking me for my contact information since this was “best resolved over the phone”.  I wrote back immediately and got no response.  10 days later I tried again and still nothing. Strike 3. So I called another 4 days later to the main number from their website. When I got someone, she said I had to call the corporate office but she was unable to give me their number. She gave me instructions for how to get it off their website. I wasn’t near a computer at the time, so that didn’t help. I asked her why on earth she couldn’t just tell me if it was on their website and she said “it’s corporate policy”. Really?? Strike 4.

I re-read the original email they sent me and found a number and extension. After going through the automated system, it told me that extension was never set up and didn’t exist. Another strike.  So I get the operator, who ended up being the person who had written to me. Yes, the operator who said “how may I direct your call?” She said she never got either of my emails. After I explained my concern over their return policy and how I felt taken advantage of, she sighed deeply and said “I guess we can take it back and refund you as a one-time courtesy.” Courtesy???  And then she said I couldn’t go back to the store, I had to go to the post office and return it that way. She couldn’t explain why – just said I had to do it.  But before she could do that, she needed my personal information all over again, a photo of the receipt, and for me to fill out a long online form for returns. No box to return it in and now I have to find time from work to get it to a post office.  Are you kidding me??? I’m still not confident they won’t charge me for shipping. Nonetheless,  I sent in my information to her 5 days ago and have heard nothing back. Sent her a follow-up email yesterday and still nothing. 

I’m sorry but this is the absolute worst service I have ever gotten. And when you’re in the business of pregnancy, childbirth, and babies, you’d think they’d be a little more sensitive to their customer base and how they run their business.  Thanks everyone for listening!