No more wedding

Okay so my SO proposed about a month ago and we had a date set for April 15th of next year. We'd already chosen the theme, where we would have it, who would be in our bridal/ groom party. We thought we'd be okay as our parents said they would all help. I had an argument with my mom recently because every time I wouldn't or couldn't do something she asked (like taking care of my brother even though I had to go work that day) then she would threaten to not help pay for the wedding and I just told her to not worry about it anymore that I didn't want her help if she was gonna hold it over my head like that. My SO agreed that we didn't need her help if that was how she would be acting for the next year but now the problem is I'm sure we won't have enough money for the wedding. My SO says I should still plan everything and in a year we'll see how much we have. I don't wanna do that because 1. I don't think we plan a wedding in a month  2. I've looked into the prices of everything we'd like (we've even tried cutting back on some stuff) and between living together and still going to college we wouldn't have enough. I've told him we can get married by the courthouse and keep the date and he says its okay with him but he knows I'm the one who cares about having a wedding. So now he's upset because I don't wanna plan a wedding that might not even be able to happen. I understand he's tying to make me happy and I love him so much for it but I just don't wanna get my hopes up and then not have it happen. Do you guys have any opinions on what we should do? Please don't leave may rude comments I'm just asking for some advice and thank you for reading this! 
Thank you guys for all your answers I loved everyone of them and it gave us a few more options. I think what we'll do is just see where we are financially a few months before the wedding and go from there. I'm thinking we'll just have a small ceremony and reception or as was suggested have a courthouse wedding with only close family and friends and have a small reception later. Thanks again so much!