Fighting back

Anyone else surprised in the Orlando shooting that no one fought back? The shooter actually picked that spot for many reasons and one of them being that gay men are less likely to engage and resist ie fight back. Coming from a sheriff deputy himself. Not discriminating just facts. No one is blaming anybody. For example the VA Tech shooter lined 12 people up and shot them execution style. I don't know about you but if I'm going to get shot I'm going down fighting first. I'd rather be shot in the leg taking them down than die not doing anything. However if you can leave and run from the scene do it. If you can't please don't give up and let someone else take your life easily. Fight back. 
Edit
This isn't insensitive or disrespectful in any way. Why would you stand there and do nothing when you're about to be killed why wouldn't you at least take a shot at living. People say you won't know how you'll react until you're in the situation etc. yes you do you make a decision you either accept it or you try to help yourself. This is after fleeing isn't an option any longer. 
I don't know how to say it any clearer THIS IS AFTER RUNNING AND HIDING ISNT AN OPTION. The best thing to do is run and hide. What if you can't.