Finally -- 40+3 FTM! Labor Dust to all of you ladies still waiting!

Brooke

My darling daughter, Rosalie Carmel, was born August 15th at 3:29 PM weighing in at 7 lbs. 12 oz. and measuring 20 inches long!

Birth/Labor Story:

On 8/14, my husband and I had sex and practiced nipple stimulation in an effort to induce my labor with our 3-day late child. Fell asleep around 9:30PM, woke up around 11:30 PM with mild contractions about 3 minutes apart and lasting for 45-60 seconds. Showered and watched TV and timed them until 1:00 AM, at which point I decided I should call the doctor. Was told to go to the hospital to get checked out.

Arrived at the hospital around 1:30 AM, was only dilated 2CM and about 80% effaced (3 days ago I was 1 CM and 80% effaced). Was asked to walk for an hour to see if we made any progress -- walked from 3:00 AM to 4:30 AM, still no progression. Asked to be sent home so I could eat and labor comfortably. Arrived home around 5:30 AM. Ate, showered, and labored until 8:30 AM at which point my husband decided we needed to go back to the hospital because I was in agony.

Arrived back at the hospital around 9 AM to find I was a whopping 5 CM and 100% effaced!! Was admitted and immediately got my epidural -- the best decision I could make. I would not have made it through to the end without that -- was able to rest and gear up for pushing. By 12 PM, I was 8 CM and my doctor came in to break my water. Fully dilated at 2:00 PM, waited another 45 minutes for baby to descend on his/her own (we were team green!), and started practice pushing at 2:45 PM. Doctor came in at 3:00 PM and our baby girl was born less than 30 minutes later!

I had some vaginal tearing, but no interventions and am doing very well today (besides feeling like I was hit by a bus). Baby and I spiked a fever after birth, but it was under control within the hour. She was born with part of the cord wrapped around her neck, but the doctor cut it quickly and it doesn't seem to have caused any problems. She is doing great -- today's challenge is to work on breastfeeding! Homeward bound tomorrow morning!

Here's a picture of my very proud husband and our little girl. Love them both!