Facebook says he's online but he isn't?

This sounds more like a question that should be on a Facebook Help forum, but I was just wondering if anyone knows what it means.
My boyfriend's Facebook says he's been online 1 minute ago for hours. There's no way he's actually online. Sometimes his Facebook says he was online, but he wasn't and I've read that it says that because the time isn't always right, usually because your phone number is connected to messanger, but his number isn't connected to messenger. It will usually tell me he's "online" for only a little while, but this time it's said that for a long period of time and it's killing me. Is there a reason for this? What is causing this? Have you ever had this happen?
(Side note: I have a lot of trust issues that I'm working on, so that's part of the reason I'm so bothered by this, but also because usually the only time it says 1m for hours is when he's face timing me. So it makes me worry that maybe he's face timing someone else. I really don't think he'd ever cheat on me in my heart, but my trust issues fuck me over.)