Birth Control Pills - What they don't tell you...

Nicole
Like you, I started BCP knowing the potential side effects while ON the pill, i.e. Weight gain, larger breasts, blood clot, stroke, etc but what I didn't know was what would happen coming off BCP! 
Over 1 year after coming off hormonal bcp and I'm still dealing with OILY SKIN and ACNE on my face, back, and chest. I didn't even have acne before starting BCP! 
So here is my story..
I started Ortho tricyclen when I was 18 when starting college/more serious dating. After three months, I switched to the Lo version because the regular one made me too emotional. I was always skeptical about starting BCP. I don't like the idea of putting things in my body and altering my hormones but I didn't know there were other options (besides condoms). Fast forward 3.5 years and I found out I could get a copper IUD that doesn't have hormones! I get that and have the best skin of my life and then 6 months later shit hits the fan and I get these symptoms:
-EXTREMELY OILY hair and face! My face was practically dripping in oils. Looked completely wet. I would get oily after 20 minutes of washing my face. Freshly washed hair was already greasy by 2pm... luckily the greasy hair only lasted a couple of months. 
-HAIR LOSS all of a sudden I had MAJOR hair loss. Like every time I showered, I pulled out at least 200 hairs about 1/4 inch thick handful of hair. My hair was so thin when I tied it up. I probably lost about 1/4-1/3 of my hair. Finally it is starting to grow back. It actually looks a little crazy. My hair always looks frizzy now because I have all of these two inch hairs growing out all over my head but I'm happy my hair will be full again soon! 
-started getting weird pimples that I never had before and wouldn't go away. One month later my face was covered in pimples on both sides of my cheeks. About 100 small flesh colored pimples on each side. Nothing I did would get rid of them. -benzoyl peroxide, AHA, BHA, retinoids, prescription acne products, nothing. The only thing that helped was switching to powder foundation and using witch hazel. I didn't even want to show my face anywhere anymore. 
-acne on my scalp along my hair line, back of neck and behind my ears. Large pimples that wouldn't go away :(
-started getting back acne and chest acne that was similar to the little pimples on my face (clogged pores) 
-just felt out of balance
I'm posting this to let women know that there are repercussions to taking the pill. Yes, the pill has helped a lot of women with other issues but I don't think a lot of women know about the effects of coming off the pill. Some women have more serious problems like irregular periods or not even getting a period for up to a year. Some have a hard time getting pregnant. I am not trying to tell people not to take it or to switch but I want to let people know that don't already know there are other side effects that aren't commonly known. AND there ARE other non-hormonal options- copper IUD. 
If this post helps just one person I will feel good knowing I helped because I wish I had known this. 
There are lots of articles on women having problems coming off the pill. I.E. 
https://www.usa.daysy.me/blog/acne-and-birth-control-how-to-prevent-acne-after-g/
And this blog with other women dealing with this issue http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/188651-acne-after-stopping-birth-control-pills/
What has helped me and what I wish I had done differently:
-DIM supplement daily (flushes bad estrogens - like synthetic estrogens in bcp) + milk thistle (strengthens liver so it can filter excess hormones) + adequate fiber - all must be taken together 
-diet - I already eat really healthy and only drink water so I didn't see a huge improvement but saw a good change-- drink more water, eat less sugar (this includes carbs too that break down into sugar like high glycemic index foods i.e. White rice, pasta, potatoes - yams are ok) and no dairy! + more cruciferous veggies for fiber
-oil-free products, mineral powder foundation, witch hazel, gentle cleanser, differin (prescription but now available at target without prescription)
-multivitamin for women 
-making sure you get your minerals that were depleted from BCP - vitamin c, b vitamins (try fortified cereals for this ie cheerios), zinc, magnesium is a huge one 
-I wish I had started the dim supplements before coming off BCP. I didn't start that until this last month and my pimples seem like they are coming to the surface and actually going away now. Before even if I would pop them they would come back in the same spots. Across a lot of articles that I read they said to start taking DIM a few months before going off BCP and continuing for up to 6 months. 
-I was lucky and didn't have irregular periods I think because I was already taking vitex while on bcp for other reasons. Vitex brings hormonal balance. If you start taking it before going off bcp you will probably be less likely to have irregular periods. 
I really hope this helps someone and please if this happened to you or is happening post a comment. I thought I was completely alone in this and actually thought it was from other things for the longest time but now I finally know it was from BCP! 
Please upvote so other girls can see!