Can We Get Back Together???

Hello ladies! I need some much needed advice, anything would help me! I appreciate you reading my sob story...
So last Monday was me and my now ex-boyfriends 4 month anniversary, and late Monday night we decided to go on break. Why do you ask? He told me he felt unhappy, not like himself, and he needed some time alone. At first the thought scared me because I thought it would lead up to a scary and heartbreaking breakup, but I learned breaks are healthy. We didn't have set in stone rules for this break, because we both thought we were still together but not at the same time. That made me unhappy, so it was just a mess and it didn't make things better. So late last night (Sunday) we decide to end our relationship and be friends. He told me he needed me as a friend for long term, and that he just wasn't looking for a relationship right now because he was so unhappy. 
I have hope we can still be together. Our story is a one of fate, and I have a belief fate only works once for everyone. I do love him and I see us together in our future. I am happy with him, and I care for him so much. He's at a point in his life where he's unhappy and he can't even love himself. He said he has an intention of getting back together, but I'm afraid we'll get distant and fall out. I also don't want to be his friend if he begins talking to someone else, because of my strong feelings for him. Is that right of me? Even though he reassures me with his good intentions and he still only talks to me and hangs out with me, I'm still scared of that. I believe in him, but I'm scared.
We both are Christian, and we've done a lot of firsts together. (I know scandalous🙄) We're so involved in each other's lives, I don't want to throw it away, all the memories and experiences. We go to church together, and when I say the whole church is his family, literally the whole church is his family. Everyone will know and I think it'll be awkward. 😭
I really need some input please. I literally have no one to talk to about this, my best friend is in the most toxic relationship ever, she gives advice and it's hypocritical. My best friend is now my ex boyfriend so it's a mess. Thanks 💕💋