what's some good advice to get out of debt

I just found out that my fiancé is SWIMMING in tons of debt. Mainly from student loans. We haven't been going out lately and he's been hesitant about moving in together which has put a damper on our relationship because he's been hiding it for two years. He's been asking me for money just to make ends meet and I didn't understand why. The kicker is he's known that I've been in debt for quite some time from student loans.. The two of us in debt together really scares me. I wondered if its a good idea to move forward in marriage considering we both are not financially stable. Of course I'm not with him for money but so many people have told me to make sure We have finances in order because money is the leading cause in divorce. I asked why he's never told me. He said he doesn't like to talk about it because it's depressing. We both want children of our own together. He already has two kids. We both have degrees with crap jobs that don't pay enough at all. We both have been looking for second jobs just to make ends meet but to no success. Does anybody have any clue as to how we can begin the process to gain financial freedom ?