Gestational diabetes frustration!

Hey all,

So this is my second pregnancy with GD, got diagnosed at about 30-31 weeks and I'm currently a little over 33 weeks. I'm taking metformin twice a day along with nighttime insulin to regulate my fasting levels. I feel like this whole mess is causing me SOOOOOO much unnecessary stress! I have a fear of needles so the insulin injections plus the daily finger pokes are a constant source of misery for me. I'm at 14 units of insulin right now and my fasting numbers have been consistently between 5.2-5.6. Doc wants them under 5.3. I don't think such a slight difference is too much of a worry bt they are adamant that I keep increasing my insulin until desired levels are achieved! I don't want to keep increasing my insulin :(

Why have the standards changed over time in terms of fasting ranges?? My mother had GD with her youngest two (20 and 15 years ago) and her fasting levels were often in the 6-7 range and she was never forced to take medication or insulin and both babies came out healthy.

I feel like all this unnecessary stress is actually worse for my baby!! What should I do?? I can't not stress..I just hate having to fit into a certain "range".

Plus, my baby is measuring fine. My first, I was also on insulin near the end and they tried to push for an induction and all that but I diligently refused. My son was born through spontaneous labor and was a healthy weight. So again went through all that stress for nothing!!! I don't mind watching what I eat n stuff..just a few weeks to go..bt the dreaded feeling of failing when seeing a less than ideal fasting number is whats causing me so much stress and anxiety! :(