Strep vaginitis?

Ma

Ladies please help me out.. I noticed discoloration on my five year olds privates and asked her to take a look.. what I saw looked really bad.. so I immediately took her to the doctor. I'm not sure whether I'm comfortable posting a pic on here so I'll just explain it.. it was like red and darker colored skin.. and seemed like the skin was somewhat peeling.. she had no odor but did have some discharge.. the skin that was peeling off was darker than her skin and made her panties kinda brown.. it was so red. Very alarming. I thought immediately she had a yeast infection. Well I took her temperature and she had a fever of 100. She just had her adnenoids removed so they told me a low grade fever was normal. Anyway I took her to the doc and they say she has strep vaginitis. I have never heard of this and she saw the doc that was available not her regular doc and honestly she wasn't very good at explaining. Has anyone had this or had a daughter that had this? Along with the meds should I put cream on her? What are some things to help.. ? And whats normal? She has an appointment with her regular doc but it isn't for another week so I'm just curious beforehand if anyone has any advice.