BreakUp

I was in a relationship for over 3 1/2 years (our half year was on Valentines Day), and I was certain we were getting married. He and I exchanged promise rings almost a year ago. I always imagined my future with him, even my doctorate as having his last name on there, and he kept telling me how much he loves me and wants to marry and wake up in the morning next to me. He would always assure me that despite us being separated in distance because of college, he would always loves me.

On the Sunday after Valentines, he and I argued, and he let slip he didn't feel fully committed anymore. I told him the next day that he should take time to figure out what he wanted because his happiness was what I wanted to happen. Two days later, he broke up with me over phone.

I talked to him in person once this week, and it was to discuss what happened. Apparently, he hadn't been feeling the same about me for a couple months and didn't like things about me he always said he did, and he didn't want to hurt me. I was looking at engagement rings less than three weeks ago, and now I know I have been making the person I love most unhappy for months.

People keep telling me to hookup with people or to just drop/hate him, but I can't. He was my first boyfriend and first for many things, and he's the only person I've ever felt physically attracted to. I still love him, but he's already told me there's no way we could get back together. Does anyone have any advice on what to do?