Anonymous posts in CC

Rachel • Glow Community Manager

Hey, I know we've asked this before, but I thought it might be worth reiterating: I know it's annoying to see anon posts in CC, but if you see one and it's obviously not meant to stir up trouble, or if it's just been posted to the wrong group, please just report it so the admins can handle it. If *no one* else has said anything, sure, maybe go ahead and gently (!) remind the person that anon posts aren't allowed, and maybe suggest the edit the post to de-anon it. 

Generally, the people most active in CC are regulars, so I know you get used to interacting with people who are used to the rough and tumble  in here and also who know the rules. 

Something to keep in mind is that it's really easy to get used to the generally more aggressive tone that predominates in CC,  which makes it easy to lose sight of how absolutely harsh and out-of-the-blue it can seem if you've just wandered over from a gentler section of the Community (or just don't often participate in online discourse). 

So here's a reminder that it does often seem really harsh and out of the blue to people who aren't used to it...so much so that they react as such, which then seems way out of proportion and random to the regulars, at which point it escalates, and nobody wins. 

---

Update: I'm closing the comments on this because I won't be around to respond (got a date, wish me luck!) But here's a quick Q&A on some of the concerns that came up.

Q: Why do you keep asking favors of regulars instead of making pinned posts about the people who are horrible bigots?

A: Because rule-abiding Community members are the only people we care about and who care enough about the Community to try and make it better. People who are breaking the rules won't care about us asking them to follow the rules, and we don't see a point in it since we're going to ban them, not just ask them to be nicer.

Q: Well, but what about horrible posts?

A:  This is explicitly just about non-horrible posts. I mean, please don't fight people who post horrible things, because all you end up doing is bumping them up, giving them oxygen, and making the number crunchers think that horrible posts drive more user engagement, but that's kind of a different topic all together. 

Q: Why don't you just (make changes to the app/disable anon posts in CC/ create a rules pop up/have volunteer admins)

A: These are all really good ideas that we are actively campaigning for. However, they all require developer time, and in a start-up environment, we aren't always on the priority list for all the features we'd like. In the mean time, this is one small thing you can do that can make a difference to both the experience of newer users and to the amount of time the admins have to dedicate to more serious problems. If they aren't cleaning up fights that happen over mistakes, they may be getting to some other post faster!